- a. Withdraw; separate.
- a. Considered apart from any application to a particular object; separated from matter; existing in the mind only; as, abstract truth, abstract numbers. Hence: ideal; abstruse; difficult.
- a. Expressing a particular property of an object viewed apart from the other properties which constitute it; -- opposed to concrete; as, honesty is an abstract word.
- a. Resulting from the mental faculty of abstraction; general as opposed to particular; as, "reptile" is an abstract or general name.
- a. Abstracted; absent in mind.
- a. To withdraw; to separate; to take away.
- a. To draw off in respect to interest or attention; as, his was wholly abstracted by other objects.
- a. To separate, as ideas, by the operation of the mind; to consider by itself; to contemplate separately, as a quality or attribute.
- a. To epitomize; to abridge.
- a. To take secretly or dishonestly; to purloin; as, to abstract goods from a parcel, or money from a till.
- a. To separate, as the more volatile or soluble parts of a substance, by distillation or other chemical processes. In this sense extract is now more generally used.
- v. t. To perform the process of abstraction.
- a. That which comprises or concentrates in itself the essential qualities of a larger thing or of several things. Specifically: A summary or an epitome, as of a treatise or book, or of a statement; a brief.
- a. A state of separation from other things; as, to consider a subject in the abstract, or apart from other associated things.
- a. An abstract term.
- a. A powdered solid extract of a vegetable substance mixed with sugar of milk in such proportion that one part of the abstract represents two parts of the original substance.
More About abstractPosition in dictionary: 640 of 111710 words.
Word Type: a., a., a., a., a., a., a., a., a., a., a., v. t., a., a., a., a.,
Words that start with "abstract": 15
Words that end with "abstract": 1
Words that contain "abstract": 16
Next words in dictionary: abstracted, abstractedly, abstractedness, abstracter, abstracting
Previous words in dictionary: abstorted, abstinently, abstinent, abstinency, abstinence