- n. A garden or grove near Athens (so named from the hero Academus), where Plato and his followers held their philosophical conferences; hence, the school of philosophy of which Plato was head.
- n. An institution for the study of higher learning; a college or a university. Popularly, a school, or seminary of learning, holding a rank between a college and a common school.
- n. A place of training; a school.
- n. A society of learned men united for the advancement of the arts and sciences, and literature, or some particular art or science; as, the French Academy; the American Academy of Arts and Sciences; academies of literature and philology.
- n. A school or place of training in which some special art is taught; as, the military academy at West Point; a riding academy; the Academy of Music.
More About academyPosition in dictionary: 719 of 111710 words.
Word Type: n., n., n., n., n.,
Words that start with "academy": 1
Words that end with "academy": 1
Words that contain "academy": 1
Next words in dictionary: acadian, acajou, acaleph, acalephae, acalephan, acalephans, acalephoid, acalephs, acalycine, acalysinous
Previous words in dictionary: academist, academism, academies, academicism, academician, academicals, academically, academical, academic, academian