- a. Next; later in time; subsequent; succeeding; as, an after period of life.
- a. Hinder; nearer the rear.
- a. To ward the stern of the ship; -- applied to any object in the rear part of a vessel; as the after cabin, after hatchway.
- prep. Behind in place; as, men in line one after another.
- prep. Below in rank; next to in order.
- prep. Later in time; subsequent; as, after supper, after three days. It often precedes a clause. Formerly that was interposed between it and the clause.
- prep. Subsequent to and in consequence of; as, after what you have said, I shall be careful.
- prep. Subsequent to and notwithstanding; as, after all our advice, you took that course.
- prep. Moving toward from behind; following, in search of; in pursuit of.
- prep. Denoting the aim or object; concerning; in relation to; as, to look after workmen; to inquire after a friend; to thirst after righteousness.
- prep. In imitation of; in conformity with; after the manner of; as, to make a thing after a model; a picture after Rubens; the boy takes after his father.
- prep. According to; in accordance with; in conformity with the nature of; as, he acted after his kind.
- prep. According to the direction and influence of; in proportion to; befitting.
- adv. Subsequently in time or place; behind; afterward; as, he follows after.
More About afterPosition in dictionary: 2250 of 111710 words.
Word Type: a., a., a., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., adv.,
Words that start with "after": 32
Words that end with "after": 10
Words that contain "after": 42
Next words in dictionary: after damp, after-dinner, after-eatage, after-glow, after-image
Previous words in dictionary: aft, afront, afrite, afrit, africanize