- n. Execution; performance; realization; operation; as, the law goes into effect in May.
- n. Manifestation; expression; sign.
- n. In general: That which is produced by an agent or cause; the event which follows immediately from an antecedent, called the cause; result; consequence; outcome; fruit; as, the effect of luxury.
- n. Impression left on the mind; sensation produced.
- n. Power to produce results; efficiency; force; importance; account; as, to speak with effect.
- n. Consequence intended; purpose; meaning; general intent; -- with to.
- n. The purport; the sum and substance.
- n. Reality; actual meaning; fact, as distinguished from mere appearance.
- n. Goods; movables; personal estate; -- sometimes used to embrace real as well as personal property; as, the people escaped from the town with their effects.
- v. t. To produce, as a cause or agent; to cause to be.
- v. t. To bring to pass; to execute; to enforce; to achieve; to accomplish.
More About effectPosition in dictionary: 31488 of 111710 words.
Word Type: n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., v. t., v. t.,
Words that start with "effect": 21
Words that end with "effect": 1
Words that contain "effect": 30
Next words in dictionary: effected, effecter, effectible, effecting, effection, effective, effectively, effectiveness, effectless, effector
Previous words in dictionary: effascination, effascinate, effacing, effacement, effaced, effaceable, efface, effable, eet, eery