- n. The act of raising from a lower place, condition, or quality to a higher; -- said of material things, persons, the mind, the voice, etc.; as, the elevation of grain; elevation to a throne; elevation of mind, thoughts, or character.
- n. Condition of being elevated; height; exaltation.
- n. That which is raised up or elevated; an elevated place or station; as, an elevation of the ground; a hill.
- n. The distance of a celestial object above the horizon, or the arc of a vertical circle intercepted between it and the horizon; altitude; as, the elevation of the pole, or of a star.
- n. The angle which the style makes with the substylar line.
- n. The movement of the axis of a piece in a vertical plane; also, the angle of elevation, that is, the angle between the axis of the piece and the line o/ sight; -- distinguished from direction.
- n. A geometrical projection of a building, or other object, on a plane perpendicular to the horizon; orthographic projection on a vertical plane; -- called by the ancients the orthography.
More About elevationPosition in dictionary: 32010 of 111710 words.
Word Type: n., n., n., n., n., n., n.,
Words that start with "elevation": 1
Words that end with "elevation": 2
Words that contain "elevation": 2
Next words in dictionary: elevator, elevatory, eleve, eleven, eleventh, elextrometry, elf, elfin, elfish, elfishly
Previous words in dictionary: elevating, elevatedness, elevated, elevate, eleutheromaniac, eleutheromania, eleuthero-petalous, eleusinian, elephantoidal, elephantoid