- v. i. To concentrate; to come to a head, as a sore, and generate pus; as, a boil has gathered.
- v. i. To collect or bring things together.
- n. A plait or fold in cloth, made by drawing a thread through it; a pucker.
- n. The inclination forward of the axle journals to keep the wheels from working outward.
- n. The soffit or under surface of the masonry required in gathering. See Gather, v. t., 7.
- v. t. To bring together; to collect, as a number of separate things, into one place, or into one aggregate body; to assemble; to muster; to congregate.
- v. t. To pick out and bring together from among what is of less value; to collect, as a harvest; to harvest; to cull; to pick off; to pluck.
- v. t. To accumulate by collecting and saving little by little; to amass; to gain; to heap up.
- v. t. To bring closely together the parts or particles of; to contract; to compress; to bring together in folds or plaits, as a garment; also, to draw together, as a piece of cloth by a thread; to pucker; to plait; as, to gather a ruffle.
- v. t. To derive, or deduce, as an inference; to collect, as a conclusion, from circumstances that suggest, or arguments that prove; to infer; to conclude.
- v. t. To gain; to win.
- v. t. To bring together, or nearer together, in masonry, as where the width of a fireplace is rapidly diminished to the width of the flue, or the like.
- v. t. To haul in; to take up; as, to gather the slack of a rope.
- v. i. To come together; to collect; to unite; to become assembled; to congregate.
- v. i. To grow larger by accretion; to increase.
More About gatherPosition in dictionary: 41190 of 111710 words.
Word Type: v. i., v. i., n., n., n., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. i., v. i.,
Words that start with "gather": 5
Words that end with "gather": 5
Words that contain "gather": 16
Next words in dictionary: gatherable, gathered, gatherer, gathering, gatling gun, gatten tree, gauche, gaucherie, gaucho, gauchos
Previous words in dictionary: gatewise, gateway, gatepost, gateman, gateless, gatehouse, gated, gate, gat-toothed, gat