- v. t. To measure or determine with a gauge.
- v. t. To measure or to ascertain the contents or the capacity of, as of a pipe, barrel, or keg.
- v. t. To measure the dimensions of, or to test the accuracy of the form of, as of a part of a gunlock.
- v. t. To draw into equidistant gathers by running a thread through it, as cloth or a garment.
- v. t. To measure the capacity, character, or ability of; to estimate; to judge of.
- n. A measure; a standard of measure; an instrument to determine dimensions, distance, or capacity; a standard.
- n. Measure; dimensions; estimate.
- n. Any instrument for ascertaining or regulating the dimensions or forms of things; a templet or template; as, a button maker's gauge.
- n. Any instrument or apparatus for measuring the state of a phenomenon, or for ascertaining its numerical elements at any moment; -- usually applied to some particular instrument; as, a rain gauge; a steam gauge.
- n. Relative positions of two or more vessels with reference to the wind; as, a vessel has the weather gauge of another when on the windward side of it, and the lee gauge when on the lee side of it.
- n. The depth to which a vessel sinks in the water.
- n. The distance between the rails of a railway.
- n. The quantity of plaster of Paris used with common plaster to accelerate its setting.
- n. That part of a shingle, slate, or tile, which is exposed to the weather, when laid; also, one course of such shingles, slates, or tiles.
More About gaugePosition in dictionary: 41217 of 111710 words.
Word Type: v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n.,
Words that start with "gauge": 5
Words that end with "gauge": 4
Words that contain "gauge": 8
Next words in dictionary: gaugeable, gauged, gauger, gauger-ship, gauging, gauging rod, gaul, gaulish, gault, gaultheria
Previous words in dictionary: gauffre, gauffering, gauffer, gaudygreen, gaudy, gaudless, gaudish, gauding, gaudiness, gaudily