- n. The dense tissues which invest the teeth, and cover the adjacent parts of the jaws.
- v. t. To deepen and enlarge the spaces between the teeth of (a worn saw). See Gummer.
- n. A vegetable secretion of many trees or plants that hardens when it exudes, but is soluble in water; as, gum arabic; gum tragacanth; the gum of the cherry tree. Also, with less propriety, exudations that are not soluble in water; as, gum copal and gum sandarac, which are really resins.
- n. See Gum tree, below.
- n. A hive made of a section of a hollow gum tree; hence, any roughly made hive; also, a vessel or bin made of a hollow log.
- n. A rubber overshoe.
- v. t. To smear with gum; to close with gum; to unite or stiffen by gum or a gumlike substance; to make sticky with a gumlike substance.
- v. i. To exude or from gum; to become gummy.
More About gumPosition in dictionary: 43776 of 111710 words.
Word Type: n., v. t., n., n., n., n., v. t., v. i.,
Words that start with "gum": 18
Words that end with "gum": 12
Words that contain "gum": 55
Next words in dictionary: gum ammoniac, gumbo, gumboil, gumma, gummata
Previous words in dictionary: guly, gulty, gult, gulping, gulph