- v. t. To furnish with strength or means for the successful performance of any action or the attainment of any object; to aid; to assist; as, to help a man in his work; to help one to remember; -- the following infinitive is commonly used without to; as, "Help me scale yon balcony."
- v. t. To furnish with the means of deliverance from trouble; as, to help one in distress; to help one out of prison.
- v. t. To furnish with relief, as in pain or disease; to be of avail against; -- sometimes with of before a word designating the pain or disease, and sometimes having such a word for the direct object.
- v. t. To change for the better; to remedy.
- v. t. To prevent; to hinder; as, the evil approaches, and who can help it?
- v. t. To forbear; to avoid.
- v. t. To wait upon, as the guests at table, by carving and passing food.
- v. i. To lend aid or assistance; to contribute strength or means; to avail or be of use; to assist.
- v. t. Strength or means furnished toward promoting an object, or deliverance from difficulty or distress; aid; ^; also, the person or thing furnishing the aid; as, he gave me a help of fifty dollars.
- v. t. Remedy; relief; as, there is no help for it.
- v. t. A helper; one hired to help another; also, thew hole force of hired helpers in any business.
- v. t. Specifically, a domestic servant, man or woman.
More About helpPosition in dictionary: 45403 of 111710 words.
Word Type: v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. i., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t.,
Words that start with "help": 8
Words that end with "help": 3
Words that contain "help": 13
Next words in dictionary: helped, helper, helpful, helping, helpless
Previous words in dictionary: helotry, helotism, helot, helmwind, helmsmen