- superl. Drawn out in a line, or in the direction of length; protracted; extended; as, a long line; -- opposed to short, and distinguished from broad or wide.
- superl. Drawn out or extended in time; continued through a considerable tine, or to a great length; as, a long series of events; a long debate; a long drama; a long history; a long book.
- superl. Slow in passing; causing weariness by length or duration; lingering; as, long hours of watching.
- superl. Occurring or coming after an extended interval; distant in time; far away.
- superl. Extended to any specified measure; of a specified length; as, a span long; a yard long; a mile long, that is, extended to the measure of a mile, etc.
- superl. Far-reaching; extensive.
- superl. Prolonged, or relatively more prolonged, in utterance; -- said of vowels and syllables. See Short, a., 13, and Guide to Pronunciation, // 22, 30.
- n. A note formerly used in music, one half the length of a large, twice that of a breve.
- n. A long sound, syllable, or vowel.
- n. The longest dimension; the greatest extent; -- in the phrase, the long and the short of it, that is, the sum and substance of it.
- adv. To a great extent in apace; as, a long drawn out line.
- adv. To a great extent in time; during a long time.
- adv. At a point of duration far distant, either prior or posterior; as, not long before; not long after; long before the foundation of Rome; long after the Conquest.
- adv. Through the whole extent or duration.
- adv. Through an extent of time, more or less; -- only in question; as, how long will you be gone?
- prep. By means of; by the fault of; because of.
- a. To feel a strong or morbid desire or craving; to wish for something with eagerness; -- followed by an infinitive, or by after or for.
- a. To belong; -- used with to, unto, or for.
More About longPosition in dictionary: 58139 of 111710 words.
Word Type: superl., superl., superl., superl., superl., superl., superl., n., n., n., adv., adv., adv., adv., adv., prep., a., a.,
Words that start with "long": 68
Words that end with "long": 24
Words that contain "long": 131
Next words in dictionary: long primer, long-armed, long-breathed, long-drawn, long-horned
Previous words in dictionary: lonesome, loneness, lonely, loneliness, lone