- v. t. To join, or come in contact with; esp., to come in contact with by approach from an opposite direction; to come upon or against, front to front, as distinguished from contact by following and overtaking.
- v. t. To come in collision with; to confront in conflict; to encounter hostilely; as, they met the enemy and defeated them; the ship met opposing winds and currents.
- v. t. To come into the presence of without contact; to come close to; to intercept; to come within the perception, influence, or recognition of; as, to meet a train at a junction; to meet carriages or persons in the street; to meet friends at a party; sweet sounds met the ear.
- v. t. To perceive; to come to a knowledge of; to have personal acquaintance with; to experience; to suffer; as, the eye met a horrid sight; he met his fate.
- v. t. To come up to; to be even with; to equal; to match; to satisfy; to ansver; as, to meet one's expectations; the supply meets the demand.
- v. t. To come together by mutual approach; esp., to come in contact, or into proximity, by approach from opposite directions; to join; to come face to face; to come in close relationship; as, we met in the street; two lines meet so as to form an angle.
- v. t. To come together with hostile purpose; to have an encounter or conflict.
- v. t. To assemble together; to congregate; as, Congress meets on the first Monday of December.
- v. t. To come together by mutual concessions; hence, to agree; to harmonize; to unite.
- n. An assembling together; esp., the assembling of huntsmen for the hunt; also, the persons who so assemble, and the place of meeting.
- a. Suitable; fit; proper; appropriate; qualified; convenient.
- adv. Meetly.
More About meetPosition in dictionary: 60784 of 111710 words.
Word Type: v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., n., a., adv.,
Words that start with "meet": 8
Words that end with "meet": 4
Words that contain "meet": 15
Next words in dictionary: meeten, meeter, meeth, meeting, meetinghouse, meetly, meetness, meg-, mega, megacephalic
Previous words in dictionary: meerschaum, meerkat, meer, meekness, meekly, meeken, meek, meedfully, meedful, meed