- n. See Mien.
- pron. & a. Belonging to me; my. Used as a pronominal to me; my. Used as a pronominal adjective in the predicate; as, "Vengeance is mine; I will repay." Rom. xii. 19. Also, in the old style, used attributively, instead of my, before a noun beginning with a vowel.
- v. i. To dig a mine or pit in the earth; to get ore, metals, coal, or precious stones, out of the earth; to dig in the earth for minerals; to dig a passage or cavity under anything in order to overthrow it by explosives or otherwise.
- v. i. To form subterraneous tunnel or hole; to form a burrow or lodge in the earth; as, the mining cony.
- v. t. To dig away, or otherwise remove, the substratum or foundation of; to lay a mine under; to sap; to undermine; hence, to ruin or destroy by slow degrees or secret means.
- v. t. To dig into, for ore or metal.
- v. t. To get, as metals, out of the earth by digging.
- v. i. A subterranean cavity or passage
- v. i. A pit or excavation in the earth, from which metallic ores, precious stones, coal, or other mineral substances are taken by digging; -- distinguished from the pits from which stones for architectural purposes are taken, and which are called quarries.
- v. i. A cavity or tunnel made under a fortification or other work, for the purpose of blowing up the superstructure with some explosive agent.
- v. i. Any place where ore, metals, or precious stones are got by digging or washing the soil; as, a placer mine.
- v. i. Fig.: A rich source of wealth or other good.
More About minePosition in dictionary: 62149 of 111710 words.
Word Type: n., pron. & a., v. i., v. i., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i.,
Words that start with "mine": 19
Words that end with "mine": 62
Words that contain "mine": 157
Next words in dictionary: mined, miner, mineral, mineralist, mineralization
Previous words in dictionary: mindless, minding, mindful, minder, minded