- v. t. To cause to change place or posture in any manner; to set in motion; to carry, convey, draw, or push from one place to another; to impel; to stir; as, the wind moves a vessel; the horse moves a carriage.
- v. t. To transfer (a piece or man) from one space or position to another, according to the rules of the game; as, to move a king.
- v. t. To excite to action by the presentation of motives; to rouse by representation, persuasion, or appeal; to influence.
- v. t. To arouse the feelings or passions of; especially, to excite to tenderness or compassion; to touch pathetically; to excite, as an emotion.
- v. t. To propose; to recommend; specifically, to propose formally for consideration and determination, in a deliberative assembly; to submit, as a resolution to be adopted; as, to move to adjourn.
- v. t. To apply to, as for aid.
- v. i. To change place or posture; to stir; to go, in any manner, from one place or position to another; as, a ship moves rapidly.
- v. i. To act; to take action; to stir; to begin to act; as, to move in a matter.
- v. i. To change residence; to remove, as from one house, town, or state, to another.
- v. i. To change the place of a piece in accordance with the rules of the game.
- n. The act of moving; a movement.
- n. The act of moving one of the pieces, from one position to another, in the progress of the game.
- n. An act for the attainment of an object; a step in the execution of a plan or purpose.
More About movePosition in dictionary: 64075 of 111710 words.
Word Type: v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., n., n., n.,
Words that start with "move": 6
Words that end with "move": 11
Words that contain "move": 23
Next words in dictionary: moved, moveless, movement, movent, mover, moving, movingly, movingness, mow, mowburn
Previous words in dictionary: movably, movables, movableness, movable, movability, mouths, mouthpiece, mouthless, mouthing, mouthfuls