- adv. At a little distance, in place, time, manner, or degree; not remote; nigh.
- adv. Nearly; almost; well-nigh.
- adv. Closely; intimately.
- adv. Not far distant in time, place, or degree; not remote; close at hand; adjacent; neighboring; nigh.
- adv. Closely connected or related.
- adv. Close to one's interests, affection, etc.; touching, or affecting intimately; intimate; dear; as, a near friend.
- adv. Close to anything followed or imitated; not free, loose, or rambling; as, a version near to the original.
- adv. So as barely to avoid or pass injury or loss; close; narrow; as, a near escape.
- adv. Next to the driver, when he is on foot; in the Unted States, on the left of an animal or a team; as, the near ox; the near leg. See Off side, under Off, a.
- a. Immediate; direct; close; short.
- a. Close-fisted; parsimonious.
- prep. Adjacent to; close by; not far from; nigh; as, the ship sailed near the land. See the Note under near, a.
- adv. To approach; to come nearer; as, the ship neared the land.
- v. i. To draw near; to approach.
More About nearPosition in dictionary: 65242 of 111710 words.
Word Type: adv., adv., adv., adv., adv., adv., adv., adv., adv., a., a., prep., adv., v. i.,
Words that start with "near": 10
Words that end with "near": 12
Words that contain "near": 38
Next words in dictionary: near-legged, nearctic, neared, nearhand, nearing
Previous words in dictionary: neapolitan, neaped, neap, neal, neaf