- n. Punishment suffered or denounced; suffering or evil inflicted as a punishment for crime, or connected with the commission of a crime; penalty.
- n. Any uneasy sensation in animal bodies, from slight uneasiness to extreme distress or torture, proceeding from a derangement of functions, disease, or injury by violence; bodily distress; bodily suffering; an ache; a smart.
- n. Specifically, the throes or travail of childbirth.
- n. Uneasiness of mind; mental distress; disquietude; anxiety; grief; solicitude; anguish.
- n. See Pains, labor, effort.
- n. To inflict suffering upon as a penalty; to punish.
- n. To put to bodily uneasiness or anguish; to afflict with uneasy sensations of any degree of intensity; to torment; to torture; as, his dinner or his wound pained him; his stomach pained him.
- n. To render uneasy in mind; to disquiet; to distress; to grieve; as a child's faults pain his parents.
More About painPosition in dictionary: 70290 of 111710 words.
Word Type: n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n.,
Words that start with "pain": 20
Words that end with "pain": 3
Words that contain "pain": 33
Next words in dictionary: painable, pained, painful, painim, paining
Previous words in dictionary: pailmall, paillasse, pailfuls, pailful, pail