- n. A flat, or nearly flat, piece of metal, the thickness of which is small in comparison with the other dimensions; a thick sheet of metal; as, a steel plate.
- n. Metallic armor composed of broad pieces.
- n. Domestic vessels and utensils, as flagons, dishes, cups, etc., wrought in gold or silver.
- n. Metallic ware which is plated, in distinction from that which is genuine silver or gold.
- n. A small, shallow, and usually circular, vessel of metal or wood, or of earth glazed and baked, from which food is eaten at table.
- n. A piece of money, usually silver money.
- n. A piece of metal on which anything is engraved for the purpose of being printed; hence, an impression from the engraved metal; as, a book illustrated with plates; a fashion plate.
- n. A page of stereotype, electrotype, or the like, for printing from; as, publisher's plates.
- n. That part of an artificial set of teeth which fits to the mouth, and holds the teeth in place. It may be of gold, platinum, silver, rubber, celluloid, etc.
- n. A horizontal timber laid upon a wall, or upon corbels projecting from a wall, and supporting the ends of other timbers; also used specifically of the roof plate which supports the ends of the roof trusses or, in simple work, the feet of the rafters.
- n. A roundel of silver or tinctured argent.
- n. A sheet of glass, porcelain, metal, etc., with a coating that is sensitive to light.
- n. A prize giving to the winner in a contest.
- v. t. To cover or overlay with gold, silver, or other metals, either by a mechanical process, as hammering, or by a chemical process, as electrotyping.
- v. t. To cover or overlay with plates of metal; to arm with metal for defense.
- v. t. To adorn with plated metal; as, a plated harness.
- v. t. To beat into thin, flat pieces, or laminae.
- v. t. To calender; as, to plate paper.
More About platePosition in dictionary: 75077 of 111710 words.
Word Type: n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t.,
Words that start with "plate": 13
Words that end with "plate": 22
Words that contain "plate": 38
Next words in dictionary: plate-gilled, plateau, plateaus, plateaux, plated
Previous words in dictionary: platband, platanus, platanist, platan, plat