- n. A pit.
- 3d pers. sing. pres. of Put, contracted from putteth.
- n. A rustic; a clown; an awkward or uncouth person.
- imp. & p. p. of Put
- v. t. To move in any direction; to impel; to thrust; to push; -- nearly obsolete, except with adverbs, as with by (to put by = to thrust aside; to divert); or with forth (to put forth = to thrust out).
- v. t. To bring to a position or place; to place; to lay; to set; figuratively, to cause to be or exist in a specified relation, condition, or the like; to bring to a stated mental or moral condition; as, to put one in fear; to put a theory in practice; to put an enemy to fight.
- v. t. To attach or attribute; to assign; as, to put a wrong construction on an act or expression.
- v. t. To lay down; to give up; to surrender.
- v. t. To set before one for judgment, acceptance, or rejection; to bring to the attention; to offer; to state; to express; figuratively, to assume; to suppose; -- formerly sometimes followed by that introducing a proposition; as, to put a question; to put a case.
- v. t. To incite; to entice; to urge; to constrain; to oblige.
- v. t. To throw or cast with a pushing motion "overhand," the hand being raised from the shoulder; a practice in athletics; as, to put the shot or weight.
- v. t. To convey coal in the mine, as from the working to the tramway.
- v. i. To go or move; as, when the air first puts up.
- v. i. To steer; to direct one's course; to go.
- v. i. To play a card or a hand in the game called put.
- n. The act of putting; an action; a movement; a thrust; a push; as, the put of a ball.
- n. A certain game at cards.
- n. A privilege which one party buys of another to "put" (deliver) to him a certain amount of stock, grain, etc., at a certain price and date.
- n. A prostitute.
More About putPosition in dictionary: 79982 of 111710 words.
Word Type: n., , n., imp. & p. p., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. i., v. i., v. i., n., n., n., n.,
Words that start with "put": 46
Words that end with "put": 11
Words that contain "put": 147
Next words in dictionary: put-off, put-up, putage, putamen, putanism
Previous words in dictionary: pustulous, pustule, pustulation, pustulated, pustulate