- v. t. & i. To chide with vehemence; to scold; to censure violently.
- n. Established portion or measure; fixed allowance.
- n. That which is established as a measure or criterion; degree; standard; rank; proportion; ratio; as, a slow rate of movement; rate of interest is the ratio of the interest to the principal, per annum.
- n. Valuation; price fixed with relation to a standard; cost; charge; as, high or low rates of transportation.
- n. A tax or sum assessed by authority on property for public use, according to its income or value; esp., in England, a local tax; as, parish rates; town rates.
- n. Order; arrangement.
- n. Ratification; approval.
- n. The gain or loss of a timepiece in a unit of time; as, daily rate; hourly rate; etc.
- n. The order or class to which a war vessel belongs, determined according to its size, armament, etc.; as, first rate, second rate, etc.
- n. The class of a merchant vessel for marine insurance, determined by its relative safety as a risk, as A1, A2, etc.
- v. t. To set a certain estimate on; to value at a certain price or degree.
- v. t. To assess for the payment of a rate or tax.
- v. t. To settle the relative scale, rank, position, amount, value, or quality of; as, to rate a ship; to rate a seaman; to rate a pension.
- v. t. To ratify.
- v. i. To be set or considered in a class; to have rank; as, the ship rates as a ship of the line.
- v. i. To make an estimate.
More About ratePosition in dictionary: 81446 of 111710 words.
Word Type: v. t. & i., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. i., v. i.,
Words that start with "rate": 6
Words that end with "rate": 441
Words that contain "rate": 697
Next words in dictionary: rateable, rated, ratel, ratepayer, rater
Previous words in dictionary: ratchet, ratchel, ratch, rataplan, ratany