- v. i. To separate the component parts of; to reduce to the constituent elements; -- said of compound substances; hence, sometimes, to melt, or dissolve.
- v. i. To reduce to simple or intelligible notions; -- said of complex ideas or obscure questions; to make clear or certain; to free from doubt; to disentangle; to unravel; to explain; hence, to clear up, or dispel, as doubt; as, to resolve a riddle.
- v. i. To cause to perceive or understand; to acquaint; to inform; to convince; to assure; to make certain.
- v. i. To determine or decide in purpose; to make ready in mind; to fix; to settle; as, he was resolved by an unexpected event.
- v. i. To express, as an opinion or determination, by resolution and vote; to declare or decide by a formal vote; -- followed by a clause; as, the house resolved (or, it was resolved by the house) that no money should be apropriated (or, to appropriate no money).
- v. i. To change or convert by resolution or formal vote; -- used only reflexively; as, the house resolved itself into a committee of the whole.
- v. i. To solve, as a problem, by enumerating the several things to be done, in order to obtain what is required; to find the answer to, or the result of.
- v. i. To dispere or scatter; to discuss, as an inflammation or a tumor.
- v. i. To let the tones (as of a discord) follow their several tendencies, resulting in a concord.
- v. i. To relax; to lay at ease.
- v. i. To be separated into its component parts or distinct principles; to undergo resolution.
- v. i. To melt; to dissolve; to become fluid.
- v. i. To be settled in opinion; to be convinced.
- v. i. To form a purpose; to make a decision; especially, to determine after reflection; as, to resolve on a better course of life.
- n. The act of resolving or making clear; resolution; solution.
- n. That which has been resolved on or determined; decisive conclusion; fixed purpose; determination; also, legal or official determination; a legislative declaration; a resolution.
Dictionary Stats for "resolve"Position in dictionary: 83769 of 111710 words.
Word Types: v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., v. i., n., n.,
Words that start with resolve: 6
Words that end with resolve: 3
Words that contain resolve: 10
Next words in dictionary: resolved, resolvedly, resolvedness, resolvent, resolver
Previous words in dictionary: resolvableness, resolvable, resolvability, resolutory, resolutive