- v. t. To subject (a body) to the action of something moving over its surface with pressure and friction, especially to the action of something moving back and forth; as, to rub the flesh with the hand; to rub wood with sandpaper.
- v. t. To move over the surface of (a body) with pressure and friction; to graze; to chafe; as, the boat rubs the ground.
- v. t. To cause (a body) to move with pressure and friction along a surface; as, to rub the hand over the body.
- v. t. To spread a substance thinly over; to smear.
- v. t. To scour; to burnish; to polish; to brighten; to cleanse; -- often with up or over; as, to rub up silver.
- v. t. To hinder; to cross; to thwart.
- v. i. To move along the surface of a body with pressure; to grate; as, a wheel rubs against the gatepost.
- v. i. To fret; to chafe; as, to rub upon a sore.
- v. i. To move or pass with difficulty; as, to rub through woods, as huntsmen; to rub through the world.
- n. The act of rubbing; friction.
- n. That which rubs; that which tends to hinder or obstruct motion or progress; hindrance; obstruction, an impediment; especially, a difficulty or obstruction hard to overcome; a pinch.
- n. Inequality of surface, as of the ground in the game of bowls; unevenness.
- n. Something grating to the feelings; sarcasm; joke; as, a hard rub.
- n. Imperfection; failing; fault.
- n. A chance.
- n. A stone, commonly flat, used to sharpen cutting tools; a whetstone; -- called also rubstone.
More About rubPosition in dictionary: 85541 of 111710 words.
Word Type: v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. i., v. i., v. i., n., n., n., n., n., n., n.,
Words that start with "rub": 63
Words that end with "rub": 10
Words that contain "rub": 120
Next words in dictionary: ruba-dub, rubato, rubbage, rubbed, rubber
Previous words in dictionary: ru bible, roytish, roytelet, royston crow, roysterer