- v. t. To divide; to distribute; to apportion.
- v. t. To change the place of; to move or remove from one place to another; as, to shift a burden from one shoulder to another; to shift the blame.
- v. t. To change the position of; to alter the bearings of; to turn; as, to shift the helm or sails.
- v. t. To exchange for another of the same class; to remove and to put some similar thing in its place; to change; as, to shift the clothes; to shift the scenes.
- v. t. To change the clothing of; -- used reflexively.
- v. t. To put off or out of the way by some expedient.
- v. t. The act of shifting.
- v. t. The act of putting one thing in the place of another, or of changing the place of a thing; change; substitution.
- v. t. Something frequently shifted; especially, a woman's under-garment; a chemise.
- v. t. The change of one set of workmen for another; hence, a spell, or turn, of work; also, a set of workmen who work in turn with other sets; as, a night shift.
- v. t. In building, the extent, or arrangement, of the overlapping of plank, brick, stones, etc., that are placed in courses so as to break joints.
- v. t. A breaking off and dislocation of a seam; a fault.
- v. t. A change of the position of the hand on the finger board, in playing the violin.
More About shiftPosition in dictionary: 90065 of 111710 words.
Word Type: v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t.,
Words that start with "shift": 9
Words that end with "shift": 3
Words that contain "shift": 13
Next words in dictionary: shiftable, shifted, shifter, shiftiness, shifting, shiftingly, shiftless, shifty, shiite, shikaree
Previous words in dictionary: shiff, shieling, shieldtail, shieldless, shielding, shielded, shielddrake, shield-bearer, shield, shiel