- n. The corner, or angle, of a figure.
- n. A parallelogram having four equal sides and four right angles.
- n. Hence, anything which is square, or nearly so
- n. A square piece or fragment.
- n. A pane of glass.
- n. A certain number of lines, forming a portion of a column, nearly square; -- used chiefly in reckoning the prices of advertisements in newspapers.
- n. One hundred superficial feet.
- n. An area of four sides, generally with houses on each side; sometimes, a solid block of houses; also, an open place or area for public use, as at the meeting or intersection of two or more streets.
- n. An instrument having at least one right angle and two or more straight edges, used to lay out or test square work. It is of several forms, as the T square, the carpenter's square, the try-square., etc.
- n. Hence, a pattern or rule.
- n. The product of a number or quantity multiplied by itself; thus, 64 is the square of 8, for 8 / 8 = 64; the square of a + b is a2 + 2ab + b2.
- n. Exact proportion; justness of workmanship and conduct; regularity; rule.
- n. A body of troops formed in a square, esp. one formed to resist a charge of cavalry; a squadron.
- n. Fig.: The relation of harmony, or exact agreement; equality; level.
- n. The position of planets distant ninety degrees from each other; a quadrate.
- n. The act of squaring, or quarreling; a quarrel.
- n. The front of a woman's dress over the bosom, usually worked or embroidered.
- a. Having four equal sides and four right angles; as, a square figure.
- a. Forming a right angle; as, a square corner.
- a. Having a shape broad for the height, with rectilineal and angular rather than curving outlines; as, a man of a square frame.
- a. Exactly suitable or correspondent; true; just.
- a. Rendering equal justice; exact; fair; honest, as square dealing.
- a. Even; leaving no balance; as, to make or leave the accounts square.
- a. Leaving nothing; hearty; vigorous.
- a. At right angles with the mast or the keel, and parallel to the horizon; -- said of the yards of a square-rigged vessel when they are so braced.
- n. To form with four sides and four right angles.
- n. To form with right angles and straight lines, or flat surfaces; as, to square mason's work.
- n. To compare with, or reduce to, any given measure or standard.
- n. To adjust; to regulate; to mold; to shape; to fit; as, to square our actions by the opinions of others.
- n. To make even, so as leave no remainder of difference; to balance; as, to square accounts.
- n. To multiply by itself; as, to square a number or a quantity.
- n. To hold a quartile position respecting.
- n. To place at right angles with the keel; as, to square the yards.
- v. i. To accord or agree exactly; to be consistent with; to conform or agree; to suit; to fit.
- v. i. To go to opposite sides; to take an attitude of offense or defense, or of defiance; to quarrel.
- v. i. To take a boxing attitude; -- often with up, sometimes with off.
More About squarePosition in dictionary: 94124 of 111710 words.
Word Type: n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., a., a., a., a., a., a., a., a., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., v. i., v. i., v. i.,
Words that start with "square": 8
Words that end with "square": 6
Words that contain "square": 13
Next words in dictionary: square-rigged, square-toed, square-toes, squared, squarely, squareness, squarer, squaring, squarish, squarrose
Previous words in dictionary: squanderingly, squandering, squanderer, squandered, squander, squamulose, squamule, squamulate, squamulae, squamula