- v. t. To stop the flowing of, as blood; to check; also, to stop the flowing of blood from; as, to stanch a wound.
- v. t. To extinguish; to quench, as fire or thirst.
- v. i. To cease, as the flowing of blood.
- n. That which stanches or checks.
- n. A flood gate by which water is accumulated, for floating a boat over a shallow part of a stream by its release.
- v. t. Strong and tight; sound; firm; as, a stanch ship.
- v. t. Firm in principle; constant and zealous; loyal; hearty; steady; steadfast; as, a stanch churchman; a stanch friend or adherent.
- v. t. Close; secret; private.
- v. t. To prop; to make stanch, or strong.
More About stanchPosition in dictionary: 94407 of 111710 words.
Word Type: v. t., v. t., v. i., n., n., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t.,
Words that start with "stanch": 9
Words that end with "stanch": 1
Words that contain "stanch": 9
Next words in dictionary: stanched, stanchel, stancher, stanching, stanchion
Previous words in dictionary: stance, stamping, stamper, stampede, stamped