- n. an organ situated in the floor of the mouth of most vertebrates and connected with the hyoid arch.
- n. The power of articulate utterance; speech.
- n. Discourse; fluency of speech or expression.
- n. Honorable discourse; eulogy.
- n. A language; the whole sum of words used by a particular nation; as, the English tongue.
- n. Speech; words or declarations only; -- opposed to thoughts or actions.
- n. A people having a distinct language.
- n. The lingual ribbon, or odontophore, of a mollusk.
- n. The proboscis of a moth or a butterfly.
- n. The lingua of an insect.
- n. Any small sole.
- n. That which is considered as resembing an animal's tongue, in position or form.
- n. A projection, or slender appendage or fixture; as, the tongue of a buckle, or of a balance.
- n. A projection on the side, as of a board, which fits into a groove.
- n. A point, or long, narrow strip of land, projecting from the mainland into a sea or a lake.
- n. The pole of a vehicle; especially, the pole of an ox cart, to the end of which the oxen are yoked.
- n. The clapper of a bell.
- n. A short piece of rope spliced into the upper part of standing backstays, etc.; also. the upper main piece of a mast composed of several pieces.
- n. Same as Reed, n., 5.
- v. t. To speak; to utter.
- v. t. To chide; to scold.
- v. t. To modulate or modify with the tongue, as notes, in playing the flute and some other wind instruments.
- v. t. To join means of a tongue and grove; as, to tongue boards together.
- v. i. To talk; to prate.
- v. i. To use the tongue in forming the notes, as in playing the flute and some other wind instruments.
More About tonguePosition in dictionary: 101490 of 111710 words.
Word Type: n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. i., v. i.,
Words that start with "tongue": 13
Words that end with "tongue": 15
Words that contain "tongue": 39
Next words in dictionary: tongue-pad, tongue-shaped, tongue-shell, tongue-tie, tongue-tied
Previous words in dictionary: tongs, tongo, tongkang, tonge, tonga