- v. t. To contort; to writhe; to complicate; to crook spirally; to convolve.
- v. t. Hence, to turn from the true form or meaning; to pervert; as, to twist a passage cited from an author.
- v. t. To distort, as a solid body, by turning one part relatively to another about an axis passing through both; to subject to torsion; as, to twist a shaft.
- v. t. To wreathe; to wind; to encircle; to unite by intertexture of parts.
- v. t. To wind into; to insinuate; -- used reflexively; as, avarice twists itself into all human concerns.
- v. t. To unite by winding one thread, strand, or other flexible substance, round another; to form by convolution, or winding separate things round each other; as, to twist yarn or thread.
- v. t. Hence, to form as if by winding one part around another; to wreathe; to make up.
- v. t. To form into a thread from many fine filaments; as, to twist wool or cotton.
- v. i. To be contorted; to writhe; to be distorted by torsion; to be united by winding round each other; to be or become twisted; as, some strands will twist more easily than others.
- v. i. To follow a helical or spiral course; to be in the form of a helix.
- n. The act of twisting; a contortion; a flexure; a convolution; a bending.
- n. The form given in twisting.
- n. That which is formed by twisting, convoluting, or uniting parts.
- n. A cord, thread, or anything flexible, formed by winding strands or separate things round each other.
- n. A kind of closely twisted, strong sewing silk, used by tailors, saddlers, and the like.
- n. A kind of cotton yarn, of several varieties.
- n. A roll of twisted dough, baked.
- n. A little twisted roll of tobacco.
- n. One of the threads of a warp, -- usually more tightly twisted than the filling.
- n. A material for gun barrels, consisting of iron and steel twisted and welded together; as, Damascus twist.
- n. The spiral course of the rifling of a gun barrel or a cannon.
- n. A beverage made of brandy and gin.
- v. t. A twig.
More About twistPosition in dictionary: 103991 of 111710 words.
Word Type: v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. i., v. i., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., n., v. t.,
Words that start with "twist": 6
Words that end with "twist": 6
Words that contain "twist": 12
Next words in dictionary: twiste, twisted, twister, twistical, twisting, twit, twitch, twitch grass, twitched, twitcher
Previous words in dictionary: twirling, twirled, twirl, twire-pipe, twire, twinter, twinning, twinner, twinned, twinling