- adv. Aloft; on high; in a direction contrary to that of gravity; toward or in a higher place or position; above; -- the opposite of down.
- adv. From a lower to a higher position, literally or figuratively; as, from a recumbent or sitting position; from the mouth, toward the source, of a river; from a dependent or inferior condition; from concealment; from younger age; from a quiet state, or the like; -- used with verbs of motion expressed or implied.
- adv. In a higher place or position, literally or figuratively; in the state of having arisen; in an upright, or nearly upright, position; standing; mounted on a horse; in a condition of elevation, prominence, advance, proficiency, excitement, insurrection, or the like; -- used with verbs of rest, situation, condition, and the like; as, to be up on a hill; the lid of the box was up; prices are up.
- adv. To or in a position of equal advance or equality; not short of, back of, less advanced than, away from, or the like; -- usually followed by to or with; as, to be up to the chin in water; to come up with one's companions; to come up with the enemy; to live up to engagements.
- adv. To or in a state of completion; completely; wholly; quite; as, in the phrases to eat up; to drink up; to burn up; to sum up; etc.; to shut up the eyes or the mouth; to sew up a rent.
- adv. Aside, so as not to be in use; as, to lay up riches; put up your weapons.
- prep. From a lower to a higher place on, upon, or along; at a higher situation upon; at the top of.
- prep. From the coast towards the interior of, as a country; from the mouth towards the source of, as a stream; as, to journey up the country; to sail up the Hudson.
- prep. Upon.
- n. The state of being up or above; a state of elevation, prosperity, or the like; -- rarely occurring except in the phrase ups and downs.
- a. Inclining up; tending or going up; upward; as, an up look; an up grade; the up train.
More About upPosition in dictionary: 106178 of 111710 words.
Word Type: adv., adv., adv., adv., adv., adv., prep., prep., prep., n., a.,
Words that start with "up": 146
Words that end with "up": 85
Words that contain "up": 1162
Next words in dictionary: up-line, up-train, upas, upbar, upbear
Previous words in dictionary: unzoned, unyolden, unyoked, unyoke, unwroken