- n. A viscid liquid, consisting of a solution of resinous matter in an oil or a volatile liquid, laid on work with a brush, or otherwise. When applied the varnish soon dries, either by evaporation or chemical action, and the resinous part forms thus a smooth, hard surface, with a beautiful gloss, capable of resisting, to a greater or less degree, the influences of air and moisture.
- n. That which resembles varnish, either naturally or artificially; a glossy appearance.
- n. An artificial covering to give a fair appearance to any act or conduct; outside show; gloss.
- n. To lay varnish on; to cover with a liquid which produces, when dry, a hard, glossy surface; as, to varnish a table; to varnish a painting.
- n. To cover or conceal with something that gives a fair appearance; to give a fair coloring to by words; to gloss over; to palliate; as, to varnish guilt.
More About varnishPosition in dictionary: 106957 of 111710 words.
Word Type: n., n., n., n., n.,
Words that start with "varnish": 4
Words that end with "varnish": 1
Words that contain "varnish": 4
Next words in dictionary: varnished, varnisher, varnishing, vartabed, varuna, varvel, varveled, vary, varying, vas
Previous words in dictionary: varletry, varlet, vark, varix, varisse, variscite, variously, various, variorum, variolous