- v. t. Proceeding from the will; produced in or by an act of choice.
- v. t. Unconstrained by the interference of another; unimpelled by the influence of another; not prompted or persuaded by another; done of his or its own accord; spontaneous; acting of one's self, or of itself; free.
- v. t. Done by design or intention; intentional; purposed; intended; not accidental; as, if a man kills another by lopping a tree, it is not voluntary manslaughter.
- v. t. Of or pertaining to the will; subject to, or regulated by, the will; as, the voluntary motions of an animal, such as the movements of the leg or arm (in distinction from involuntary motions, such as the movements of the heart); the voluntary muscle fibers, which are the agents in voluntary motion.
- v. t. Endowed with the power of willing; as, man is a voluntary agent.
- v. t. Free; without compulsion; according to the will, consent, or agreement, of a party; without consideration; gratuitous; without valuable consideration.
- v. t. Of or pertaining to voluntaryism; as, a voluntary church, in distinction from an established or state church.
- n. One who engages in any affair of his own free will; a volunteer.
- n. A piece played by a musician, often extemporarily, according to his fancy; specifically, an organ solo played before, during, or after divine service.
- n. One who advocates voluntaryism.
More About voluntaryPosition in dictionary: 108283 of 111710 words.
Word Type: v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., v. t., n., n., n.,
Words that start with "voluntary": 2
Words that end with "voluntary": 3
Words that contain "voluntary": 4
Next words in dictionary: voluntaryism, volunteer, volunteered, volunteering, volupere, voluptuaries, voluptuary, voluptuous, volupty, voluta
Previous words in dictionary: voluntariness, voluntarily, voluntaries, volumist, voluminous, volumetrical, volumetric, volumeter, volumescope, volumenometry