- prep. In a general sense, from, or out from; proceeding from; belonging to; relating to; concerning; -- used in a variety of applications; as:
- prep. Denoting that from which anything proceeds; indicating origin, source, descent, and the like; as, he is of a race of kings; he is of noble blood.
- prep. Denoting possession or ownership, or the relation of subject to attribute; as, the apartment of the consul: the power of the king; a man of courage; the gate of heaven.
- prep. Denoting the material of which anything is composed, or that which it contains; as, a throne of gold; a sword of steel; a wreath of mist; a cup of water.
- prep. Denoting part of an aggregate or whole; belonging to a number or quantity mentioned; out of; from amongst; as, of this little he had some to spare; some of the mines were unproductive; most of the company.
- prep. Denoting that by which a person or thing is actuated or impelled; also, the source of a purpose or action; as, they went of their own will; no body can move of itself; he did it of necessity.
- prep. Denoting reference to a thing; about; concerning; relating to; as, to boast of one's achievements.
- prep. Denoting nearness or distance, either in space or time; from; as, within a league of the town; within an hour of the appointed time.
- prep. Denoting identity or equivalence; -- used with a name or appellation, and equivalent to the relation of apposition; as, the continent of America; the city of Rome; the Island of Cuba.
- prep. Denoting the agent, or person by whom, or thing by which, anything is, or is done; by.
- prep. Denoting relation to place or time; belonging to, or connected with; as, men of Athens; the people of the Middle Ages; in the days of Herod.
- prep. Denoting passage from one state to another; from.
- prep. During; in the course of.
More About ofPosition in dictionary: 67581 of 111710 words.
Word Type: prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep., prep.,
Words that start with "of": 65
Words that end with "of": 50
Words that contain "of": 426
Next words in dictionary: off, offal, offcut, offence, offend
Previous words in dictionary: oestrus, oestruation, oestrual, oestrian, oesophagus