- adv. In a general sense, denoting from or away from; as:
- adv. Denoting distance or separation; as, the house is a mile off.
- adv. Denoting the action of removing or separating; separation; as, to take off the hat or cloak; to cut off, to pare off, to clip off, to peel off, to tear off, to march off, to fly off, and the like.
- adv. Denoting a leaving, abandonment, departure, abatement, interruption, or remission; as, the fever goes off; the pain goes off; the game is off; all bets are off.
- adv. Denoting a different direction; not on or towards: away; as, to look off.
- adv. Denoting opposition or negation.
- interj. Away; begone; -- a command to depart.
- prep. Not on; away from; as, to be off one's legs or off the bed; two miles off the shore.
- a. On the farther side; most distant; on the side of an animal or a team farthest from the driver when he is on foot; in the United States, the right side; as, the off horse or ox in a team, in distinction from the nigh or near horse or ox; the off leg.
- a. Designating a time when one is not strictly attentive to business or affairs, or is absent from his post, and, hence, a time when affairs are not urgent; as, he took an off day for fishing: an off year in politics.
- n. The side of the field that is on the right of the wicket keeper.
More About offPosition in dictionary: 67582 of 111710 words.
Word Type: adv., adv., adv., adv., adv., adv., interj., prep., a., a., n.,
Words that start with "off": 56
Words that end with "off": 25
Words that contain "off": 146
Next words in dictionary: offal, offcut, offence, offend, offendant
Previous words in dictionary: of, oestrus, oestruation, oestrual, oestrian